FOR INSPIRATION AND RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
[Information and quotes are from the FIRST website] FIRST Website →
Mission: "Our mission is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership."
FIRST was first founded in 1989 to help and inspire students to not only participate in science and technology related activities, but to also increase their interest in it. Starting in Manchester, New Hampshire as a not-for-profit public charity, the program motivates young students and adults to strive for education and careers in the science, technology, engineering and math area. In the process, not only will they build qualities such as self-confidence, knowledge, and life skills, but learn how to work with a team and a diversity of people. The first FIRST competition was in 1992 which was held in a high-school gym in New Hampshire with only 28 teams. Today, FIRST has about 2,000 schools participating with 250,000 people.
"It's a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community."
- FIRST National Advisor, Dr. Woodie Flowers came up with the term
- Combines fierce competition with respect for everyone
- Being able to avoid trash talking and rude gestures
- Having this quality will provide useful in the future
"Coopertition is founded on the concept and a philosophy that teams can and should help and cooperate with each other even as they compete."
- Produces innovation
- Learning from teammates and teaching them
- Learning from mentors
- Competing, but helping
- All in all, being able to cooperate with others in a kindly manner
- FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Grades 9 - 12
- FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) Grades 7 - 12
- FIRST Lego League (FLL) Grades 4 - 8
- Junior FIRST Lego League (Jr.FLL) Grades K - 3
FIRST also supplies a FIRST Scholarship Program. Many different colleges and universities offer a variety of Scholarships to the FIRST students. They also supply Sponsorships. If you are thinking about becoming a FIRST Sponsor, visit this page for more information.